Friday, February 13, 2009

Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas



Because I Am Furniture is about Anke and her family, which hides many secrets. Although they don't let anyone know, Anke's father is abusive and harms her brother and sister. He chooses to leave her alone though, which makes her feel as though she isn't worthy or as though she's a piece of furniture. Through volleyball Anke learns that she is more than just furniture, and she finds the voice to say something.

This was a very quick read due to the free verse format that it was written in. It pulled you in, and it made you want everything to turn out alright in the end. It was neat to see how through volleyball Anke went from someone who was shy and quiet to someone who knew how to yell. It was a really great book, and I would suggest that anyone would read it.

Reviewed by Megan.
Reviewed from an advanced reader copy.

-----------------------------------------

This book was a really good read. I didn't think I would like it because of the format, but I found it quite easy. It was a quick read for me but it was definitely worth it. The characters were all believable, along with the problems. I loved the character development throughout the story. It shows that you do have control over your life. You just have to try.

Reviewed by Ashley.
Reviewed from an advanced reader copy.

No comments: