Saturday, October 27, 2012

Breathing Room by Marsha Hayles



This month for book club I read Breathing Room by Marsha Hayles.  I enjoyed it very much.  This book is about a girl named Evvy Hoffmeister, who is cursed with tuberculosis.  She goes to Loon Lake Sanatorium where she is to rest and become healthy once again.  There she meets many new friends including Sarah and Dena, whom she is closest to.  Throughout the story Evvy describes the struggles she and her friends went through while at Loon Lake ending with a partially happy ending. 

I just want to start with "I absolutely loved this book".  It is so interesting learning about how people feel when they have tuberculosis (or TB), for me anyway.  The way Evvy describes it though, it doesn't sound too awful compared to other illnesses. 

The character development is wonderful in this book.  Evvy grew much stronger as the book progressed.  She grew healthier and had a strong relationship with her friends so she eventually overcame her fears at Loon Lake.

Overall, I give this a 4.5 out of 5 stars.  I definitely recommend it to anybody who is interested.  It is fantastic!

Reviewed by Alyssa.

No comments: